Fortunately, the current crop of fitter, more health conscious baby boomers is not going to sit back and age the way their parents did. Researchers are finding that far from wearing people down, meaningful work can actually help keep seniors both mentally and physically fit. Also, thanks to modern technological and medical advances combined with an increased utilization of alternative and holistic health care options such as Chiropractic, our aging population is staying healthier longer. So here are 5 tips to help you live a healthier, more exciting, and more productive life than ever before.
1. Maintain a positive attitude. It appears that one of the secrets to aging gracefully is maintaining a positive mental attitude and living fully in the present moment. Those who age elegantly don;t spend their days speaking about the past or discussing the negative aspects of life.
2. Keep up with physical activity. In my experience, those people who have mastered successful again almost always engage in some form of exercise and physical activity on a regular basis. Benefits can include weight control, improved circulation, increased muscle mass, better mood and improved balance. Regular exercise cuts your risk of a multitude of diseases that include heart attack, stroke, high blood pressure, diabetes, osteoporosis, and osteoarthritis.
3. Engage in Regular Mental Activity. One way to do this is to continually challenge yourself by leaning new skills, such as computer learning or learning a new language. If you continue to learn and challenge yourself, your brain continues to grow not shrink.
4. Antioxidant Diet and Supplementation. Make sure to eat a diet high in antioxidant rich food which can help nourish brain cells. Also, antioxidants help prevent the inflammation of blood vessels which can lead to heart disease or heart attack. Some examples of these foods are colorful fruits and vegetables.
5. Strong sense of Community. Having a strong sense of community and involvement in a meaningful, purpose driven work or volunteerism is vitally important to increasing healthy longevity.
No matter what age you are, wake up everyday stating “I am healthy, strong, and vibrant and I love my life.” See what happens! I promise you will be amazed.
Yours in health,